What causes vaginal dryness?
Vaginal dryness is caused primarily by a reduction in oestrogen levels. When oestrogen levels fall, the body reduces its level of secretion to the vagina, causing vaginal dryness.
Levels of oestrogen can fall due to:
- Hormonal changes, including menopause and childbirth
Other factors that can cause changes in vaginal moisture are:
- Sensitivity to sanitary and perfumed products
- Severe weight loss or being underweight
- The use of drugs, cigarettes1 and alcohol2
- Medical conditions such as neurological, gastro-intestinal and circulatory disorders, diabetes, chronic renal failure and undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
Sensilube can help replace lost moisture by supplementing the body’s natural moisture levels. Sensilube’s texture is almost identical to the body’s natural moisture, making it the perfect product to help ease vaginal dryness.
- Mayo Clinic Staff. Vaginal Dryness. June 27th 2006. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vaginal-dryness/DS00550.
- Richer SC. SCRIP Report: The therapeutic market for male and female sexual dysfunction. 2002; PJ Publications Ltd; Richmond.